Day by day is shopping becoming one of little one’s favorite activities. Now his eyes shines whenever we come near park, near coconuts, near our restaurant and near our regular grocery store 😀
Shopping with toddler is not easy thing. He usually gets very much overwhelmed by all the cool stuff around and picks up everything and keeps it in basket. I have observed when we shop in small local shops he can focus on his task, he can pick up tomatoes only, he doesn’t jump from tomato to mango to pastry to chicken…
I just need to keep his small hands and brain busy doing something needful so he is happy and shopping becomes fun for everyone.
Shopping is really great opportunity for great motor development (mainly balancing), eye-hand coordination and language. Children at this age love to carry heavy stuff, heavier the better. So why not to help ourselves and develop little ones at the same time? 🙂
What to do in the shop with a toddler? Give him a task.
- Ask him to push the basket
- Ask him to bring the apples (one by one)
- Ask him to put things in the basket for you (keep it a bit away from you so he enjoys walking or running)
- Let him pay for the stuff you bought (if you use credit card, let him type the password or at least press the ‘green button’)
- Ask him to keep the basket at it’s place
- Ask him to help you with a bag (if the bag is very heavy ask for extra one and keep light things inside).
Happy shopping 🙂