“Hi, I am montessori mother!” … Sounds cool, isn’t it? But what does it really mean? When are you enough mature, enough clever, enough suitable, enough skilled, enough, enough, enough… to fit into the definition of the term ‘MONTESSORI MOTHER’? You really do not need to know all the dates from the history books, sizes of biggest sea mammals or the speed of the fastest animal. All this and more you can find in books and on internet… To be Montessori mother means to work on yourself, on your inner qualities and to let the old models of education vanish. Understanding the wisdom and capability of child is the most important.
Points to be met to win the title ‘MONTESSORI MOTHER’ are not so far away and are more easily obtainable than one could think. It is just so natural that once you break that wall which was built around you by the old system of school and parenting you will know everything and you won’t need any books or blogs to guide you.
- Never forget, your child is the genius. He was borne as genius and will remain like that if you let him. That is the real meaning of ‘parenting’. To let…Offer child safe space to discover the world. DO NOT SAY ‘NO’ INSTEAD SHOW HIM HOW TO DO IT RIGHT. Let him develop his own will and do not pass on him your fears and worries. Those are only yours.
- Be present. Nothing less nothing more. Let your child know you are there for him anytime he needs but do not interfere.
- Be passive at the moment of discovery. Let the child unfold the truth with his own intelligence. Only then he is learning. Stay active in the moment of true need.
- Be the positive model. Do only what you want to child to do. They are one big absorbent mind sucking all the information in like a sponge picking up the behaviors and qualities that an adult models for them. You set the foundation for living in social environment and it must be met with the respect for child’s well being.
- Slow down. Our everyday activities are very complex for the brain of small person who just came to our world and really doesn’t know anything. Show the process in slow motion divided into phases.
- Do not repair the mistakes of the child. For you it might look like mistake but for someone else not. Everyone has different way. And so does your child. If you feel it is mistake and you really need those shoes standing in one perfect line just put them there once the child do not see. Always remember it is the best he can do that time and by repairing his ‘mistakes’ he can loose interest to do it again..and child without interest equals adult.
- PRESENT the activity. Do not just SHOW. Think about it as giving a gift to child. Wrap it in nice colors, natural materials and offer on beautiful tray.
- Present the activity once or twice but with full concentration on how you do it. Slowly, steadily, easily.
- Do not talk abstractly about the things your child doesn’t know yet. How can he know that real drums have different color membrane than his small ones when he never saw it? Always follow the pattern REAL – ABSTRACT.
- Stay in the present. Do not run away into the past nor future. Be consistent and stable entity in child’s life.
- Simplify the environment of the child so his mind is not distracted.
- Study more about: Absorbent mind, Sensitive periods, Natural tendencies and Four planes of Development. We can not give what we don’t have. We can not teach them to love animals if WE don’t love them. So learn about everything in this world to keep your child genius.
- BE A GUIDE NOT A TEACHER!
HAPPY MONTESSORI MOTHERING TO ALL AWESOME MAMMAS.